What is OGame?
OGame is a strategic space simulation game. Thousands of players concurrently play against each other. To play OGame, you just need a standard webbrowser.
It is called OGame and it is a blast. You build mines to harvest Metal, Crystal or Deuterium (a gas). You have to control the level of each of those, plus Solar Plants, Fusion Plants and Solar Satellites to generate energy for each of the mines.
You also build Ship Yards, Robot Factories, Research Labs, Rocket Silos and storage tanks to hold extra resources. You build ships to colonize other planets, and missiles and fighters to defend your planet (or attack someone else).
It reminds me somewhat of Tradewars. A game I used to play back in my BB(Bulletin Board) days. You could transfer goods to other planets as well, although if those planets were not in your alliance, you paid a penalty.
The OGame link I posted (http://www.ogame.org/) is for non-German players. Why no Germans or Germanic nations? Because this game is BIG (and I do mean BIG) over on the other side of the ocean, and they already have 27 of their own universes to play in. And the powers that be decided they don’t want any of the German players coming in and stomping use little newbies into space dust.
Tips for Getting Started with OGame:
- Build Metal mines and Solar Plants first.
- Keep alternating between the Metal mines and the Solar Plants until you are about level 3 in each.
- Toss in the occasional Crystal Mine, and maybe a Deuterium mine.
- Build mines and plants until you can build a Colony Ship.
- Colonize another planet. Keep this planet regardless of how many slots it has. Slots are how many buildings a planet can contain.
- After you colonize your first planet, build resources and colonize another (remember to build on the new planet as well as the old one).
- Colonize a third, and build resources on it.
- Start researching other technologies, and improving your structures.
- Eventually you will need to destroy any planets with less than 250 slots. Start with the smallest and colonize again. This time, keep trying until you get a planet over 250. Build that up (same as before) and then destroy and colonize another.
- Rinse, Repeat and Take over the Universe!
- Purchase the OGame Tips Strategy Guide to get a jumpstart!